Darina Allen's Potato & Fresh Herb Soup


We are just back from an astonishing family holiday in East Cork. There was so much to do, from bowling to cinemas, from beaches to cliff walks together with all my family and my cousin Caoimhe. On one of the nights, my Mam and Dad went to Ballymaloe for their 11th Anniversary (I really wanted to go too!). My Mam and Dad's starter was this soup and they both loved it. My Mam found this recipe in Darina Allen's Book "Ballymaloe Cookery Course" and decided to make it.  I helped my Mam to make it but first I had to dig the potatoes in the garden and pick the herbs. It's very filling and full of flavour.

Potato & Fresh Herb Soup

Ingredients
50g (2oz) butter
425g (15oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm (⅓in) cubes
110g (4oz) onions, cut into 1cm (⅓in) cubes
1-2 tbsp of Parsley, Thyme, Sage and Chives
900ml (1½ pints) Chicken or Vegetable stock
125ml (4fl oz) Creamy Milk
1 tsp salt
Freshly Ground Pepper

Method
  1. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. When it foams add the onions and potatoes, and toss in the butter until well coated.
  2. Sprinkle with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover with butter wrapper or paper lid and the lid of the saucepan. Sweat over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes
  3. Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil. When the vegetables are soft but not coloured, and the freshly chopped herbs and stock, and continue to cook until the vegetables are soft.
  4. Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Thin with creamy milk to the required consistency. Garnish and Serve.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely Jack, definitely one I'll be trying once the weather gets cooler in the autumn!

    ReplyDelete