This bun mixture is my granny, Bernie’s, recipe. These buns are extremely easy to make and they are very delicious too.
Bernie’s Basic Bun Mixture
225g (8oz) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 free range eggs
280g (10oz) self-raising flour (sieved)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/390°F/gas mark 6.
2. Place the flora, sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and cream together until it is a pale yellow colour.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time with a little flour- to prevent the mixture from curdling. Mix well.
4. Add the flour little by little then mix well. Stir in the milk. If it drops off easily in a dollop then it is ready.
5. Take a spoonful of mixture, with a dessert spoon and scrape into the bun case using a teaspoon. Don’t fill the case to the top.
6. Bake in the oven for 20 mins or until golden brown in colour. Cool on a wire tray.
|Ready for the oven|
|Cooling on the wire tray|